We would love to know if you have made this recipe. Please tell us about it or send a picture of your culinary creation on Facebook.
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
Canola oil (for deep-frying)
Powdered Sugar Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
- For spiced sugar:
- Whisk all ingredients in medium bowl to blend
- For doughnuts:
- Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until blended (mixture will be grainy).
- Beat in egg, then yolks and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in buttermilk; beat in pumpkin in 4 additions.
- Using rubber spatula, fold in dry ingredients in 4 additions, blending gently after each addition.
- Cover with plastic; chill 3 hours.
- Sprinkle 2 rimmed baking sheets lightly with flour.
- Press out 1/3 of dough on floured surface to 1/2- to 2/3-inch thickness.
- Using 2 1/2-inch-diameter round cutter, cut out dough rounds.
- Arrange on sheets. Repeat with remaining dough in 2 more batches.
- Gather dough scraps.
- Press out dough and cut out more dough rounds until all dough is used.
- Using 1-inch-diameter round cutter, cut out center of each dough round to make doughnuts and doughnut holes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with several layers of paper towels.
- Pour oil into large deep skillet to depth of 1 1/2 inches.
- Attach deep-fry thermometer and heat oil to 365°F to 370°F.
- Fry doughnut holes in 2 batches until golden brown, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Fry doughnuts, 3 or 4 at a time, until golden brown, adjusting heat to maintain temperature, about 1 minute per side.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer doughnuts to paper towels to drain.
- Cool completely.
- For powdered sugar glaze:
- Whisk powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons whipping cream to blend.
- Whisk in additional cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, to form medium thick glaze.
- Can be made up to 3 hours ahead.
- Add doughnut holes to bowl of spiced sugar and toss to coat.
- Spread doughnuts on 1 side with Powdered Sugar Glaze.
- Arrange doughnuts, glazed side up, on racks.
- Let stand until glaze sets, at least 30 minutes.
Makes about 24 doughnuts and 24 doughnut holes