We would love to know if you have made this recipe. Please tell us about it or send a picture of your culinary creation on Facebook.
Spicy Pumpkin Pound Cake
1 cup pumpkin purée, canned or freshly prepared
2-1/2 cups cake flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a bundt cake pan with a no-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Separate eggs. Place yolks in a small bowl and whites in a large mixing bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine butter and brown sugar until smooth (add small portions of sugar at a time). Add vanilla and mix.
- Whisk yolks then add to sugar mixture, one-third at a time.
- Add pumpkin puree and beat the mixture until smooth. Slowly add other large bowl of flour mixture until it’s totally incorporated.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into pumpkin batter.
- Gently spread batter evenly around the cake pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate.
- Allow to completely cool then dust with powdered sugar.
Makes 16 servings